Metadata is often overlooked or forgotten, but it is foundational to optimising data usage and creating business value from your data. In many companies, it is nested within the overall Data Management strategy. A metadata strategy is an overarching document that explains why your organisation needs to implement metadata, who will use it and how it will fit in with the rest of the overall data management strategy. A good Metadata Strategy will help you focus your efforts by creating a roadmap that also sets the foundation for broader data management capabilities.
Why do you need a Metadata Strategy?
Creating a metadata strategy has several direct and indirect benefits, where metadata acts as a foundation for enabling broader data management practices. The following can be achieved if you successfully follow through on your metadata strategy:
- 60% more time saved for reporting teams and analysts through locating data sources, automating metadata ingestion and documenting data products centrally (IDC ROI study)
- Up to 20% productivity increase for compliance teams and 5% for auditing teams by providing automated lineage of critical data elements (IDC ROI study)
- Reduced effort spent on the reconciliation of data elements through central documentation and automatic incident creation
- A foundation for proactive Data Quality management by having the means to store DQ metrics and to report on them
- Increased efficiency of the Data Governance team through tool-enabled workflows and automatically creating a starting point for or defining a data element
Discover our services
Are you ready to start working with us on a metadata strategy or implementing one or more of its components? Our team of metadata strategy experts can help you set up a roadmap, work on the foundations or even guide you through the whole process. Besides Metadata Strategy services, we can also help with:
What we do(in 90 seconds)
Getting your data under control to create a lasting impact. To set yourself up for long term success, you need future-proof rules that define who can take what action, upon what data, in what situations.Get started
When data is treated carelessly, it turns into a risky asset. We help you create and implement a flexible roadmap towards Data Compliance readiness, taking a risk-based, pragmatic approach.Get started
Getting everyone aboard for a shared data vision. To connect the dots and truly benefit from data you need a culture that supports and understands it. Time to increase the Data Literacy of your workforce.Get started
Want to expand on the above topics with our expert?
Taking contact should be easy. You choose whichever option suits you best:
- Request a callback and let us contact you
- Send us an e-mail or give us a call at +32 3 808 53 09
- Plan a short meeting using the calendar on the right